A Black Watson Bra

Allgemein, sewing

dsc03512

The Watson Bra is something that I have been wanting to make for maybe one year now, I started trying out sizes last year and I was pretty frustrated because I couldn’t figure out the right size. I did some mistakes measuring, then I figured out a size that I thought was right and made it up in „real bra fabric“. It didn’t fit at all and it was a super frustrating experience! I realized that I normally make more loose fitting garments, and bra making really pushed me out of my sewing comfort zone, especially because I have been collecting bra making supplies in Vienna and Paris, because I found it hard to find lingerie fabric in Berlin, so I was constantly worried about wasting my precious materials.

dsc03513

Also, every single Watson Bra that people post on their blogs and Instagram looks perfect and amazing (even though some people report issues with finding the right size also…), that I really got a bit anxious to make mine. So after my big failure – the cups were just way too big – I decided to jump back on the horse a day later and make another one. With just the most simple elastic that I have and in my standard bra size! And it fits! Sometimes going the easy way takes time apparently… I will go up one cup size for the next one, as I could have just a liiittle bit more coverage there, and I think I will pull the elastic a bit under the arms to avoid side-boob-gaping (don’t know my lingerie sewing terminology…).The pattern instructions are clear and the construction simple enough for a first try at lingerie making. All in all, I think this might become a big success for my bra drawer this summer!

dsc03517